If you studied a hundred years and collected a thousand books, you would not be ready for The Lord Almighty’s mercy except by your acts and deeds, as The Lord Almighty said: “and that man shall have only what he [himself] strives for [53:39]” and “…So whoever hopes to encounter his Lord, let him do righteous work … [18:110]” and “whereas those who repent and believe and act righteously - such shall enter Paradise and shall not be wronged in any way [19:60]”
“Ibrahim b. Adham was asked: What is the matter with us that we invoke but our invocations are not answered, although Allah says: Invoke me I will accept your invocation. He said: The cause is that your hearts have died. although Allah says: Inovke me I will accept your invocation. He said: The cause is that your hearts have died. Eight conducts cause the heart to die:
(1) You know the duties towards God but you do not do them.
(2) You recite the Quran but you do not look to its promise of punishment.
(3) You say that you love the Prophet ﷺ but you do not follow his actions.
(4) You say that you fear death but you do not prepare for it.
(5) God says: The devil is your enemy but you take his help in sinful acts.
(6) You say that you fear Hell fire but you keep your body immerged in it.
(7) You say that you love Paradise but you do not act for it.
(8) When you get up from bed, you throw your sins by your back and disclose the sins of the people, thereby you cause the displeasure of your Lord. How can He respond to your invocation?”
— Ihya ulum al din
Al-Khalil b. Ahmad remarked: There are four types of men:
(1) One who knows and knows he knows; he is learned, so follow him!
(2) One who knows and knows not that he knows; he is asleep, so wake him!
(3) One who knows not and knows he knows not; he seeks to learn, so teach him!
(4) One who knows not and knows not that he knows not; he is a fool, so shun him!
Only a fool can base his choice of woman on physical looks.
The hearts are inclined to love those that do good to it.
If you cannot sit by yourself for an hour, two hours or three hours without reaching for your phone; you have serious problems before your Lord and you will have difficulty in your grave. If we cannot learn to sit by ourselves, facing the Qiblah, in solitude and darkness, head lowered in a state of Muraqabah and realising that Allāh ﷻ sees us. Then when we die and are placed in our graves, there will be a deep sense of alienation. We have to learn how to do this now. Our lives are short and our days are limited. The more we go through this process now, the easier it will be when we meet our Lord ﷻ.
Against you is your own soul—if you do not keep it busy, it will keep you busy.
'Seek refuge with Allah from poverty, want, humiliation and wronging others or being wronged.'
It is to protect yourself in two ways: to abandon sinning and adorn yourself with good deeds because you fear the punishment of Allah.